Meer hulp Bel gratis en anoniem 0800 - 0432 of chat
Meer hulp




Who works at the asylum seekers centre?

Many people work at the asylum seekers centre. These people work for the COA: Location manager

The boss of the asylum seekers centre

The location manager is the boss of the asylum seekers centre where you live. He or she is the boss of all COA staff. The location manager decides what happens in the asylum seekers centre.
Housing supervisor

For questions about living in an asylum seekers centre

You will often be in contact with the housing supervisor. He or she will visit you frequently to talk about living in an asylum seekers centre. The housing supervisor also visits for other questions.
Programme supervisor

For questions about, for instance, internet or the games room

Do you have questions about:
  • the internet area?
  • the games room?
  • other spaces you share with other residents?
The programme supervisor can help you.

For questions about your legal procedure and accommodation

case manager is a member of staff of the COA. The case manager helps you in your legal procedure or court case. Have you heard whether or not you are allowed to stay in the Netherlands? The case manager will then explain about your court case. He/she will also inform you about finding a suitable home.

Ensures that the asylum seekers centre stays clean

The caretaker ensures that the asylum seekers centre stays neat and tidy. He repairs, for instance, a broken door and makes sure the asylum seekers centre is clean.
Security guard

Ensures that the asylum seekers centre is safe

There are security guards in every asylum seekers centre. They check whether there are any unknown people in the asylum seekers centre and whether it’s safe. The security guards also receive visitors. These people don’t work for the COA, but you can encounter them in the asylum seekers centre: Aliens police (AP)

For the duty to report and if you have to leave the Netherlands

Asylum seekers have to report every week or sometimes every day. This reporting must done to the Aliens police (AP). The AP checks whether are living in the Netherlands 'illegally'. The AP can check the passport of someone walking in the street. If someone is living in the Netherlands illegally, then the AP tries to deport this person from the Netherlands.
Immigration and Neutralisation department (IND)

Decides about your asylum procedure

The IND decides about your asylum procedure. You have to tell the IND why you have fled. You do this during a ‘hearing’ at the IND office. The IND eventually decides whether you are allowed to stay in the Netherlands.
Repatriation and Departure Service (DT&V)

If you have to leave the Netherlands

The Repatriation and Departure Service (DT&V) talks to asylum seekers who are not allowed to stay in the Netherlands. The DT&V tries to help these asylum seekers so they can return to the country they came from. The DT&V guides these asylum seekers in their return. Sometimes people really don’t want to go back. The DT&V can also force these people to go back. Then the DT&V for instance sits next to someone in a plane. This person can then not escape.
Dutch Council for Refugees (VWN)

For questions about your asylum procedure and more

Many questions can be asked at the Dutch Council for Refugees (VWN). For instance:
  • questions about your asylum procedure.
  • questions about life in an asylum seekers centre.
  • questions about the assimilation exam.
Members of staff of the VWN can be found at each location. There are also office hours you can go to with your questions.
Nidos Foundation

For children without parents

Nidos Foundation sees to refugees who come to the Netherlands without parents. This in fact means that Nidos Foundation becomes the father and mother of a child living in the Netherlands without parents. Child refugees without parents live in a foster family. This means that they live with Dutch parents. Child refugees can also live in a special home where several child refugees without parents live. The judge can decide that things aren’t going well at home. He/she can then decide that Nidos Foundation must help your parents.
De Vrolijkheid

In each asylum seekers centre

In each asylum seekers centre you can find De Vrolijkheid, the National Foundation for the Promotion of Happiness. This foundation organises many fun activities for children. For instance a disco, or an afternoon of painting, making music or play-acting. The staff of De Vrolijkheid can also help you. They then think along with you about what you can do.

From the neigbourhood, church or mosque

There are also many volunteers who help asylum seekers. The volunteers include, for instance, people from the neighbourhood or members of the local church or mosque. The volunteers come for a visit or organise something for the asylum seekers living in the asylum seekers centre.
International Organisation for Migration (IOM)

If you want to return to the country of your birth and for family reunions

IOM helps people who want to return to the county they came from. These people don’t live in the Netherlands. The IOM can help, for instance, by:
  • finding out where people can live if then return.
  • lending money to start a business in their home country.
  • supporting family reunions.
  • giving training courses to help integration.

Voor en over kinderen in asielzoekerscentra

De Kindertelefoon is er voor alle kinderen en jongeren van 8-18 jaar die in vertrouwen willen praten. Je kunt met ons bellen en chatten of een bericht plaatsen op de website.

Als je met ons belt of chat, praat je met een speciaal getrainde Kindertelefoon-medewerker. Zij luisteren naar je. Op deze website kun je ook een bericht posten of zelf reageren op andere kinderen en jongeren.

Chat of bel 0800-0432 (gratis & anoniem)
Dagelijks van 11.00-21.00 uur