Meer hulp Bel gratis en anoniem 0800 - 0432 of chat
Meer hulp





Child refugees move a lot. Sometimes a few times a year. Moving is never pleasant. You have to go to a new school. You have to leave your friends behind. And you have to get used to your new home. Moving frequently

Asylum seekers centre’s often close

Child refugees move a lot. This is because many asylum seekers centres are only open for a few years. Each year different numbers of asylum seekers come to the Netherlands. If fewer asylum seekers arrive, then fewer asylum seekers centres are needed. If your asylum seekers centre closes, you unfortunately have to move again. You can also move for other reasons. For instance, there are different asylum seekers centres for the various processes. If you are, for instance, denied residency after trying all avenues, you will move to another centre.
Moving regulations

Regulations depend on your new home

Which regulations there are exactly, depends on your new home. It’s then important whether you are moving to a different asylum seekers centre, a family location or a freedom restricting location. Are you moving to a different asylum seekers centre? Then the COA must adhere to the following regulations:
  • The new asylum seekers centre is as close to the asylum seekers centre you live in now as possible.
  • If possible, you won’t move until the summer holiday.
  • The COA must consider your medical or mental problems.
  • The COA tries to prevent you from moving a lot in a short space of time.
  • Within two weeks after your move you can go to a new school.
If you are moving from an asylum seekers centre to a family location or a freedom restricting location (Ter Apel) then you have to deal with the Repatriation and Departure Service.
I don’t want to move

Consultation with a lawyer

It isn’t easy. But you can always try to stop the move. The best option is to discuss this with your lawyer. The lawyer can then send the COA an official letter. The lawyer can also file a lawsuit.

Own letter

You can also write your own letter. In the letter you should explain why you don’t want to move. You can send this letter to the following organisations:
  • The COA in case of moving to another asylum seekers centre.
  • The Aliens police in case of moving to a deportation centre or a family location.
  • The judge in a lawsuit.
Your letter can include, for instance:
  • You’ve nearly got exams. You ask if you can stay in this school until your exams.
  • You are going to miss your friends too much.
  • You’ve just built up a strong bond with the local social worker or doctor.

In the neighbourhood

If an asylum seekers centre closes, you can’t stay. You can then ask whether you can move to an asylum seekers centre in the neighbourhood.

Voor en over kinderen in asielzoekerscentra

De Kindertelefoon is er voor alle kinderen en jongeren van 8-18 jaar die in vertrouwen willen praten. Je kunt met ons bellen en chatten of een bericht plaatsen op de website.

Als je met ons belt of chat, praat je met een speciaal getrainde Kindertelefoon-medewerker. Zij luisteren naar je. Op deze website kun je ook een bericht posten of zelf reageren op andere kinderen en jongeren.

Chat of bel 0800-0432 (gratis & anoniem)
Dagelijks van 11.00-21.00 uur