Meer hulp Bel gratis en anoniem 0800 - 0432 of chat
Meer hulp





  Perhaps you don’t agree with what is happening in the asylum seekers centre. Or you are angry. Examples of this include:

  • The shower in your home hasn’t been working for some time.
  • A member of staff of the COA was unfriendly to you.
  • You are angry because the neighbour makes too much noise.
You can complain to the COA about this. Talk first

Perhaps you can solve this together

It’s good to first talk to the person you are complaining about. You can then explain why you don’t agree with something. You can ask someone for help, for instance your neighbour, teacher or an acquaintance.
Send a letter

Write down your complaint

Talking isn’t helping? Then write down your complaint. Ask the COA for a complaints form, in which you list a number of things:
  • Your name, address and the date when you are writing this letter.
  • Explain why you are complaining.
  • Also mention the date of the event you are complaining about.
  • Write your name at the bottom of the letter.
Send your form to the COA. If you are having difficulty writing down your complaints, then ask someone of Dutch Council for Refugees to help you. If you want, you can explain your complaint to the COA. You can take someone with you to the talk. The person you are complaining about can also go to the COA. He or she then explains his or her side of the story.
Reply message

A reply within six weeks

Within six weeks the COA needs to answer your complaint. If the COA has a good reason then it can reply another four weeks later. The COA does have to let you know this. The COA will give you a letter after these six weeks. In this letter the COA explains what it is doing with your complaint.
Not satisfied
Not satisfied with the COA’s solution? Or, for instance, nothing has changed? Or the COA didn’t respond to your letter within six weeks? You can then submit a new complaint with the national ombudsman or the ombudsman for children. He/she will examine whether the COA did everything right. Important to know:
  • As a child you can’t officially complain, so it’s practical if an adult also signs the letter.
  • The COA gives you proof if you hand in a letter of complaint (this is called ‘proof of receipt’). Keep this document.
  • The person you are complaining about will get a copy of your letter.
  • Your complaint will be treated by someone else than the person you are complaining about.
This is mentioned in the COA Complaints procedure for residents and third parties.

Voor en over kinderen in asielzoekerscentra

De Kindertelefoon is er voor alle kinderen en jongeren van 8-18 jaar die in vertrouwen willen praten. Je kunt met ons bellen en chatten of een bericht plaatsen op de website.

Als je met ons belt of chat, praat je met een speciaal getrainde Kindertelefoon-medewerker. Zij luisteren naar je. Op deze website kun je ook een bericht posten of zelf reageren op andere kinderen en jongeren.

Chat of bel 0800-0432 (gratis & anoniem)
Dagelijks van 11.00-21.00 uur