Meer hulp Bel gratis en anoniem 0800 - 0432 of chat
Meer hulp



Leisure time

Job on the side

From the age of 13 you are allowed a job alongside school. This is called a job on the side. You can, for instance, deliver newspapers. Child refugees are also allowed to have a job on the side, but there are extra rules. These rules are listed in the Foreign Nationals Employment Act and in the Working Hours Act. Below is a summary of the rules. You can have a job on the side if you:

  • Have been living in an asylum seekers centre for more than six months.
  • Have requested asylum for the first time more than six months ago.
  • Have an employment permit. This is a piece of paper that states that you are allowed to work. The company you want to work for must request this permit for you.
Below is more information about the employment permit. (This information is quite complicated, so go over it with someone of the COA or the Dutch Council for Refugees). Employment permit

Permission to work

  To work, child refugees require an employment permit. With this the government gives the asylum seeker permission to work. The company you want to work for (for instance the supermarket or the newspaper) requests this permit for you. This is how:
  • Your future boss surfs to this website
  • There he clicks on ‘Asylum seekers (holders W-document)’
  • A form then appears that your future boss has to print out and complete. The form includes questions like how much you will earn and what type of work you will be doing.
  • Your future boss sends the completed form to the Employee Insurance Agency. The Employee Insurance Agency calls the COA to check if you have really been living in an asylum seekers centre for more than six months.
  • If all information is correct, then the Employee Insurance Agency sends you future boss the  employment permit and you can get to work.
It’s quite complicated so you can always ask the Dutch Council for Refugees or the COA to help you with this. In addition, there are also these rules:
  • You may not work for more than 24 weeks a year
Depending on your age, you may only work for a maximum number of hours a day and days a week. Here you can see how long you are allowed to work maximally.

Voor en over kinderen in asielzoekerscentra

De Kindertelefoon is er voor alle kinderen en jongeren van 8-18 jaar die in vertrouwen willen praten. Je kunt met ons bellen en chatten of een bericht plaatsen op de website.

Als je met ons belt of chat, praat je met een speciaal getrainde Kindertelefoon-medewerker. Zij luisteren naar je. Op deze website kun je ook een bericht posten of zelf reageren op andere kinderen en jongeren.

Chat of bel 0800-0432 (gratis & anoniem)
Dagelijks van 11.00-21.00 uur