Meer hulp Bel gratis en anoniem 0800 - 0432 of chat
Meer hulp



Family and parenting

Help with parenting

Raising your child can be difficult, sometimes this is even harder for parents in an asylum seekers centre. Parents can have problems, for instance due to stress, the hard life in an asylum seekers centre, events of the past and sometimes with parenting. Children are raised differently in the Netherlands than what parents are used to. This can cause a lot of arguments or even abuse. Sometimes help is then required. You can get this help from Youth Care. They employ social workers who can help parents raise their children. Youth Care can do various things. They can often visit a family to talk with the parents and the children or they can let parents and children live separately for a while. Youth Care

Also for you. All children living in the Netherlands can get help from Youth Care. So you too.

Extra rules do apply to you, for instance if things aren’t going well at home. Sometimes Youth Care believes that it would be better for children to leave the home for a while. That children can’t live with their parents. They then usually go to foster parents. These are families who take care of these children for some time. This applies to children in the Netherlands. If you live in an asylum seekers centre, you don’t go to foster parents, but to a relief centre. In some situations Youth Care finds it important for you to go to a foster parent after all.  
Types of help

Youth Care provides this help Youth Care can do various things:

  • Youth Care can visit you frequently to talk with you and your parents. You will then get a  family guardian who checks how things are going at home.
  • Youth Care can decide that you can’t live at home for a while if things are really bad. You then go to a home where children live temporarily. This is called a relief centre.
  • You can also go to a foster family. These are families who look after you for a short period. You only go to a foster family if Youth Care finds this really necessary.
  • Youth Care can give your parents a parenting course where your parents learn about parenting and how to raise you.
  • You and/or your parents can also get therapy. You then, for instance go to a psychologist or therapist. He or she helps you solve the problems.
The law

Law on Youth Care

There are two laws related to Youth Care: UN Convention on the Rights of the Child The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child lists the rights of the child. Every child has the right to care (article 24) and a good development. This is written in article 6. And children may not be abused. This is written in article 19. What if parents can no longer raise their child properly? Then the government has to help parents. This is written in article 5. Youth act
  • This law also applies to foreigners. This is written in article 1.3. Arrangements have been made about this law concerning children under 18 without a residence permit. These children can get help from Youth Care. As long as you are younger than 18. This is written in article 7 and 8 of the Implementing Order of the Youth Care Act.

Child care

Often paid by you

Sometimes parents can’t take care of their children during the day. For instance if they are busy with other things. Children can then go to child care. This can be a crèche or somewhere you go to after school. Sometimes the government helps to pay for this. Parents in an asylum seekers centre are sometimes very busy with other things, for instance with the legal procedure. There isn’t always child care in asylum seekers centres. There are sometimes crèches but these aren’t open all day. There is child care outside the asylum seekers centre. Parents have to pay for this themselves. The government doesn’t help to pay as this requires a residence permit.

Voor en over kinderen in asielzoekerscentra

De Kindertelefoon is er voor alle kinderen en jongeren van 8-18 jaar die in vertrouwen willen praten. Je kunt met ons bellen en chatten of een bericht plaatsen op de website.

Als je met ons belt of chat, praat je met een speciaal getrainde Kindertelefoon-medewerker. Zij luisteren naar je. Op deze website kun je ook een bericht posten of zelf reageren op andere kinderen en jongeren.

Chat of bel 0800-0432 (gratis & anoniem)
Dagelijks van 11.00-21.00 uur