Right to education
Going to school isn’t always fun, but school is very important. All children have a right to school. You are obliged to go school. UN Convention on the Rights of the Child
- You have a right to education until the age of 18. This also applies to child refugees.
- Primary school is free and compulsory. In the Netherlands secondary school is also free and compulsory. Secondary school is the school after primary school.
- You have the right to education on your own level. Is school too difficult? You can then go to a special school. Lessons are slower here.
- You have a right to education until you are 18. This also applies to child refugees.
- Child refugees have the right to the same education as all other children in the Netherlands.
- Maximum three months after having requested asylum in the Netherlands, you should get an education.
Compulsory educationIf you are aged between 5 and 16, you have 'compulsory education'. This means that you have to go to school.
If you are aged between 16 and 18 then there is a ‘qualification duty’. This means that you have to go to school until you have a 'basic qualification'. This is a diploma of higher general secondary education, pre-university education or intermediate vocational education (level 2 or higher). With a diploma you have a better chance of finding work.
- You are not at school. The teacher will call your parents to ask where you are. If your parents don’t have a good reason why you aren’t there, your school will call the local authority, where there is a compulsory education official. This is someone who checks whether children are going to school.
- Do you play truant a lot? Then the compulsory education official can visit your parents. He or she then asks why you aren’t there.
- The compulsory education official will not go to the Aliens police if you play truant.
- If you play truant a lot, your parents may be given a fine. If you are older than 12, you may also be punished for playing truant. For instance, a fine or community service. This is a form of punishment where you have to do chores.