Meer hulp Bel gratis en anoniem 0800 - 0432 of chat
Meer hulp




Money for school

Until you are 18 school is free of charge. After this you have to pay for your education. Student grants

Are you older than 18 and are you studying fulltime? You can then borrow money from the government to study. You will also get a card to travel by public transport free of charge (an “ov-kaart”). You don’t have a residence permit? Then you won’t get a loan. In some cases you can. If you want to find out whether you can get a loan, then fill in the DUO nationality diagram.

To pay or not to pay?

Your books are free in primary and secondary school. This also applies if you are taking intermediate vocational education. You do have to pay for books of higher professional education or university.
A few times a year you do something fun with your class. For instance, a school trip or a day at a museum. Your parents pay for this. This is called a ‘voluntary parental contribution’. Perhaps your parents don’t have the money for this. It’s then good to know that your parents don’t have to pay this money. It is really ‘voluntary’. If your parents don’t pay, you may not be allowed to join the outing or school trip. To make sure that you can go, there are several solutions: School savings Most schools have savings for emergencies. This enables you to join the trip anyway. Stichting Leergeld Stichting Leergeld helps children whose parents have little money. They pay, for instance, the costs for a school camp or daytrip.
No money for school

An allowance every week

If you live in an asylum seekers centre, you get an allowance once a week. This is usually not enough to buy a lot with. You therefore may not have any money to buy, for instance, exercise books or pens, have no money for a school trip or no money to pay for your education if you’re older than 18. You can then request two funds for help:
  1. Foundation for refugee students UAF: for intermediate vocational education, higher professional education and university students
  2. The UAF gives you guidance during your course. They can also give you money if you need it.
You can call in the UAF if you:
  • Came to the Netherlands as an asylum seeker
  • Are taking a course at intermediate vocational education level (at least level 4), higher professional education  level or at university
  • You risked prosecution in your own country
The UAF has a long waiting list. So apply on time. Stichting Leergeld: for children with parents who have little money Stichting Leergeld helps children whose parents have little money. They pay, for instance, the costs for a school camp or daytrip. However, also for things you do after school time. For instance swimming lessons. Stichting Leergeld can also help child refugees. Money of the COA The COA pays primary schools €68 for each child asylum seeker annually. In addition, it gives your parents 34 euro annually to buy small things like pens or exercise books. If you are in secondary school, then your parents get €95 to buy school supplies.

Voor en over kinderen in asielzoekerscentra

De Kindertelefoon is er voor alle kinderen en jongeren van 8-18 jaar die in vertrouwen willen praten. Je kunt met ons bellen en chatten of een bericht plaatsen op de website.

Als je met ons belt of chat, praat je met een speciaal getrainde Kindertelefoon-medewerker. Zij luisteren naar je. Op deze website kun je ook een bericht posten of zelf reageren op andere kinderen en jongeren.

Chat of bel 0800-0432 (gratis & anoniem)
Dagelijks van 11.00-21.00 uur