College and university
If you have a higher general secondary education or pre-university education diploma, you can continue studying. With a higher general secondary education or intermediate vocational education 4 diploma you can go to a college to follow a higher professional education course. You can go to university with a pre-university education diploma. If you are taking a higher professional education course, you will learn a trade such as nurse or teacher. When you have completed your studies, you will get a bachelor diploma. Are you taking a course at a university? Then you will learn the profession of, for instance, lawyer or doctor. You then get a master’s degree when you have completed your studies at the university. Enrolment
This is howWould you like to enrol for a course? Then do this:
- Go to the website www.studielink.nl
- Enter the following information:
- Your first name
- Your last name
- Your date of birth
- Whether you are male or female
- The country and town you were born in
- Telephone number of your parent(s)
- The date when you came to the Netherlands
- Information about your secondary school diploma
- the DUO
- the college where you are taking a course
- the minister of Education, Culture and Science
- Tuition fees (money you have to pay the school)
- Student grants (loan to study)
- Money the college or university gets from the government
Sometimes compulsoryFor many higher professional education courses and for some university courses you are obliged to go on work placement. Work placement means that you work in a company for some time. You can also go on work placement if you don’t have a residence permit.
- Send a letter to your school. In the letter, mention that you have the right to a diploma by law (article 7.4.6 of the Act on Education and Technical and Vocational Training). This also applies to children without a residence permit.
- Write in your letter that you would like an answer on paper with the reason why you aren’t getting a diploma. This is important because you will need this letter when you go to a lawyer.
- Do you have a letter of your school? Then take it to the lawyer.
- The lawyer will ask the judge to make sure your school gives you diploma after all.