Meer hulp Bel gratis en anoniem 0800 - 0432 of chat
Meer hulp




College and university

If you have a higher general secondary education or pre-university education diploma, you can continue studying. With a higher general secondary education or intermediate vocational education 4 diploma you can go to a college to follow a higher professional education course. You can go to university with a pre-university education diploma. If you are taking a higher professional education course, you will learn a trade such as nurse or teacher. When you have completed your studies, you will get a bachelor diploma. Are you taking a course at a university? Then you will learn the profession of, for instance, lawyer or doctor. You then get a master’s degree when you have completed your studies at the university. Enrolment

This is how

Would you like to enrol for a course? Then do this:
  1. Go to the website
  2. Enter the following information:
    • Your first name
    • Your last name
    • Your date of birth
    • Whether you are male or female
    • Address
    • The country and town you were born in
    • Nationality
    • Telephone number of your parent(s)
    • The date when you came to the Netherlands
    • Information about your secondary school diploma
The college or university may only pass on your information to:
  • you
  • the DUO
  • the college where you are taking a course
  • the minister of Education, Culture and Science
This is laid down in article 7.32, article 7.33 and article 7.52 of the Act on Higher Education and Scientific Research (WHW)

Various costs

  • Tuition fees (money you have to pay the school)
  • Student grants (loan to study)
  • Money the college or university gets from the government
Tuition fees Up to the age of 18 you don’t have to pay tuition fees. If you are 18 or older, then you have to pay tuition fees every year. You then pay your college or university an amount to study every year. Amount for tuition fees Tuition fees are €1,951 per person per year. You pay this money to the college or university where you want to study. You can pay the amount in one go or in instalments. You then pay, for instance, part of the amount each month. Whether or in how many instalments you can pay differs per college or university. If you can’t pay tuition fees Can’t pay the tuition fees? Then look under 'Money for School'. Here you can find more information about paying for your studies. Student grants and free public transport card Are you older than 18 and are you studying fulltime? You can then borrow money from the government to study. You will also get a card to travel by public transport free of charge (an “ov-kaart”).
Work placement

Sometimes compulsory

For many higher professional education courses and for some university courses you are obliged to go on work placement. Work placement means that you work in a company for some time. You can also go on work placement if you don’t have a residence permit.
You have the right to a diploma if you have passed all your exams. It doesn’t’ matter if you don’t have a residence permit. You can work with this diploma. You can also continue studying. Higher professional education diploma If you complete a higher professional education bachelor, you will get a diploma and the title 'Bachelor'. If you complete a higher professional education master, you will get the title 'Master'. University diploma Did you complete a study at a university? You then get a 'Bachelor' diploma. If you complete a master, you get the title 'Master'.   If your school doesn’t give you a diploma You have the right to a diploma, even if you don’t (yet) have a residence permit. If your school doesn’t give you a diploma, then you can take the following steps:
  • Send a letter to your school. In the letter, mention that you have the right to a diploma by law (article 7.4.6 of the Act on Education and Technical and Vocational Training). This also applies to children without a residence permit.
  • Write in your letter that you would like an answer on paper with the reason why you aren’t getting a diploma. This is important because you will need this letter when you go to a lawyer.
  • Do you have a letter of your school? Then take it to the lawyer.
  • The lawyer will ask the judge to make sure your school gives you diploma after all.
This is laid down in article 7.4.6 of the Act on Education and Technical and vocational training.

Voor en over kinderen in asielzoekerscentra

De Kindertelefoon is er voor alle kinderen en jongeren van 8-18 jaar die in vertrouwen willen praten. Je kunt met ons bellen en chatten of een bericht plaatsen op de website.

Als je met ons belt of chat, praat je met een speciaal getrainde Kindertelefoon-medewerker. Zij luisteren naar je. Op deze website kun je ook een bericht posten of zelf reageren op andere kinderen en jongeren.

Chat of bel 0800-0432 (gratis & anoniem)
Dagelijks van 11.00-21.00 uur